Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ink Blots and Pensive Thoughts

I've been looking at a lot of Rorschach cards lately, mostly because when I have a tattoo idea I research obsessively (An inkblot in a gilded rococo frame :3), and I've noticed a bit of a theme in my own interpretation.

Obviously, the point of inkblots is that they are abstract, but the human brain interprets them as images, and it gives a glance into each person's psyche. There's been a great deal of discussion whether you can determine whether someone is "disturbed" from these tests, but there's no doubt that you'll gain an insight into your own brain.

 Every time I see one of these Rorschach cards, my interpretations tend to be darkly inclined. Where the acceptable answers are "butterflies, flowers, crowds, people playing pattycake", I usually see bats, snakes, dark lakes, or restless spirits. If we used traditional interpretations, these answers would mean that I was disturbed, or had a major issue with my psyche. This is exactly why Rorschach tests have recently been cut from Social Service's evaluations. They would use these inkblots to determine if children's home lives were healthy, or if they were dangerous situations. I think people are really starting to understand that just because people see things that are commonly veiwed as "dark" or "scary", they aren't necessarily troubled.

I think it's really important that as a society we're moving away from some of these social stigmas. I was lucky enough to grow up with people who accepted my eccentricities, and my darkness, and didn't judge me or make me feel like a freak. I know a lot of people who weren't that lucky, who felt like they had to suppress who they were to feel accepted and loved. I believe vehemently in being true to who you are and what you want, and not trying to hold anything under the surface. I want my children to be able to grow up with people who will love and accept them, whether they love purple bats and horror movies, or if they like pink flowers and barbie dolls, or any combination of the two.

So lovelies, tell me what you see.





Keep on keepin on,
           Raven


1 comment:

  1. I see a man with a big moustache.
    In the top image, I see the obvious skull... [who wouldn't see that?], but I also see a headless chicken. =P

    ReplyDelete